India-Australia Virtual Leaders Summit
Source | The Hindu
11th June 2020 Current Affairs
GS PAPER II: India and its neighborhood- relations.
- The summit was noteworthy for its novel modus operandi after the dangers posed by Covid-19 have compelled the traditional summit diplomacy to adapt to new digital ways.
- This is the first Virtual Leaders Summit between India and Australia following the COVID-19 pandemic.
- E-Diplomacy was also one of the key focus of the Summit.
Context: The India-Australia Virtual Leaders Summit was recently via video conferencing. This is the first Virtual Leaders Summit between India and Australia following the COVID-19 pandemic.
Read More: World Bank’s Global Economic Prospects
What is Important in India-Australia Virtual Leaders Summit from UPSC Point of View?
- Why is this Summit significant? : The summit was noteworthy for its novel modus operandi after the dangers posed by Covid-19 have compelled the traditional summit diplomacy to adapt to new digital ways.
- What are the key points discussed during the Summit? : Important strategic decisions, ranging from military interoperability to jointly tackling the pandemic, were made.
- E-Diplomacy was also one of the key focus of the Summit. E-Diplomacy (electronic diplomacy) is the use of technology by nations to define and establish diplomatic goals and objectives and to efficiently carry out the functions of diplomats.
- These functions include representation and promotion of the home nation, establishing both bilateral and multilateral relations, consular services and social engagement.
Read More: Upgradation of Group of Seven (G7) Club
- What are the other important Summits apart from this India-Australia Virtual Summit? : Apart from the virtual summit with Australia, India has had a few multilateral e-diplomacy rounds since the Covid-19 outbreak. For example,
- SAARC Leaders’ video conference.
- Extraordinary G20 Leaders’ Summit.
- Non-Aligned Movement Virtual Summit.
- How E-Diplomacy can be riskier? : It is doubtful that major breakthroughs or deals requiring the direct intervention of leaders can happen without all the protocols and structured dialogues in person.
- Apart from that there is a possibility of e-diplomacy becoming less productive as online summits will simply not satisfy the broader political goals and bigger objectives that heads of state carry with them.
- Threats related to cybersecurity also come in the picture as E-diplomacy is riskier and could be subject to hacking of classified content.
- This could reduce the spontaneity and openness of the conversations.
- In pre-Covid-19 times, summit venues were debugged to prevent sensitive foreign policy content from being spied upon or leaked.
Read More: G7 ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE GROUP
Subscribe to our newsletter!
INDIATHINKERS is now on TELEGRAM as ExamGuideUpsc. Join our Channel to get the latest posts updates and other important quiz and pdf materials.