World’s Fastest Internet Data Speed achieved by Australia
Source | The Hindu Businessline
GS Paper III: Science and Technology – developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Context: In a major breakthrough, the researchers from Monash, Swinburne, and RMIT universities of Australia have successfully tested and recorded the world’s fastest internet data speed.
- It is the first time any micro-comb has been used in a field trial and possesses the highest amount of data produced from a single optical chip.
Read More: MoodOfIndia Portal Developed by IIT-Tirupati
How did Australia achieved World’s fastest internet speed?
- The researchers achieved this from a single optical chip – capable of downloading 1000 high definition movies in a split second.
- The researchers were able to achieve a data speed of 44.2 Terabits per second (Tbps) from a single light source.
- This technology has the capacity to support the high-speed internet connections of 1.8 million households in Melbourne.
- This can also address the problem of virtual jams across the world during peak periods.
- They used a new device called micro-comb that replaces 80 lasers, which is smaller and lighter than existing telecommunications hardware.
What you need to know about Micro-combs?
- Optical frequency combs based on micro-resonators, or micro-combs, represent an exceptionally active field of research that has only developed in the last ten years.
- This has been motivated by the prospect of creating compact and efficient multi-wavelength sources that are able to replace the very bulky and power-hungry bulk or table-top optical sources, used in many applications, with an ultra-compact and energy-efficient device.
- An important property of optical micro-resonators is their ability to efficiently store and enhance the optical field.
- For this reason, nonlinear optical phenomena that, typically, require very high-power optical pump sources can be observed in micro-resonators at extremely low powers.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
INDIATHINKERS is now on TELEGRAM as ExamGuideUpsc. Join our Channel to get the latest posts updates and other important quiz and pdf materials.