PM e-VIDYA | Initiative to Boost Education Sector
Source | Press Information Bureau
GS Paper II: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Context: PM e-VIDYA is part of a number of initiatives that are launched by the Union Finance & Corporate Affairs Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman to boost education sector.
- The government is committed to ensuring learning for all, with equity, so as to cover all students at all levels of education and in all geographical locations, even in the remotest parts of the country.
- “One nation , one digital platform” and “one class one channel” will ensure that quality education material will reach the students present in farthest areas of the country.
What you need to know about various initiatives like PM e-Vidya, launched by Union Finance Minister?
Union Finance Minister announced following as the immediate set of initiatives in the direction to boost the Education Sector. These includes:
A comprehensive initiative called PM e-VIDYA will be launched which unifies all efforts related to digital/online/on-air education. This will enable multi-mode access to education, and includes:
- DIKSHA (one nation-one digital platform) which will now become the nation’s digital infrastructure for providing quality e-content in school education for all the states/UTs;
- TV (one class-one channel) where one dedicated channel per grade for each of the classes 1 to 12 will provide access to quality educational material:
- SWAYAM online courses in MOOCS format for school and higher education;
- IITPAL for IITJEE/NEET preparation;
- Air through Community radio and CBSE Shiksha Vani podcast;
- Study material for the differently abled developed on Digitally Accessible Information System (DAISY) and in sign language on NIOS website/ YouTube.
- This will benefit nearly 25 crore school going children across the country.
- The Manodarpan initiative is being launched to provide such support through a website, a toll-free helpline, national directory of counselors, interactive chat platform, etc.
- This initiative will benefit all school going children in the country, along with their parents, teachers and the community of stakeholders in school education.
- This initiative is launched keeping in mind the need of psychosocial support to students, teachers and families for mental health and emotional wellbeing, in this time of global pandemic.
Expansion of E-Learning in Higher Education
- Government is expanding e-learning in higher education – by liberalizing open, distance and online education regulatory framework.
- Top 100 universities will start online courses.
- Also, online component in conventional Universities and ODL programmes will also be raised from present 20% to 40%.
- This will provide enhanced learning opportunities to nearly 7 crore students across different colleges and Universities.
National Curriculum and Pedagogical Framework
- It has been decided to prepare a new National Curriculum and Pedagogical Framework for school education, teacher education and early childhood stage to prepare students and future teachers as per global benchmarks.
- The curriculum is launched keeping in mind the need to promote critical thinking, creative and communication skills, along with experiential and joyful learning for the students focussing on learning outcomes.
- The curriculum must be rooted in the Indian ethos and integrated with global skill requirements.
National Foundational Literacy and Numeracy Mission
- A National Foundational Literacy and Numeracy Mission will be launched, for ensuring that every child in the country necessarily attains foundational literacy and numeracy in Grade 3 by 2025.
- For this, teacher capacity building, a robust curricular framework, engaging learning material – both online and offline, learning outcomes and their measurement indices, assessment techniques, tracking of learning progress, etc. will be designed to take it forward in a systematic fashion.
- This mission will cover the learning needs of nearly 4 crore children in the age group of 3 to 11 years.
Also Read: Migrant Workers Coronavirus Package
Subscribe to our newsletter!
INDIATHINKERS is now on TELEGRAM as ExamGuideUpsc. Join our Channel to get the latest posts updates and other important quiz and pdf materials.