National Test Abhyas | App by MHRD
Source | Press Information Bureau
GS Paper II: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector or Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Context: Union Minister of Human Resource and Development has recently launched a new mobile application named, “National Test Abhyas”.
What you need to know about National Test Abhyas?
- The App has been developed by National Testing Agency (NTA) to enable candidates to take mock tests for upcoming exams such as JEE Main, NEET under the NTA’s purview.
- The app has been launched to facilitate candidates’ access to high quality mock tests in the safety and comfort of their homes since there was a demand for making up the loss to students due to closure of educational institutions and NTA’s Test-Practice Centers (TPCs) due to the continuing lockdown.
- Students across the country can use the App to access high quality tests, free of cost, in a bid to be fully prepared for the upcoming JEE, NEET and other competitive exams.
- The app will make available practice tests on smartphones or computers for all students in India irrespective of their level of access to devices and quality of network.
- The app also has an offline mode where students, on downloading the mock tests, can attempt the test without the internet.
- The app works on Android-based smartphones and tablets and can be downloaded from Google Play Store.
- The app will be soon available on iOS.
- NTA plans to release one new mock test on the app everyday, which students can then download and attempt offline. Once the test is completed, students can go online again to submit the test and view their test report.
- In addition to that NTA has developed extensive support system at http://nta.ac.in/abhyas/help.
Also Read: Lockdown Learners | Series in India by UNODC
PRELIMS Background Bites
National Testing Agency (NTA)
National Testing Agency (NTA) is an Indian government agency that has been approved by the Union Council of Ministers and established in November 2017 to conduct entrance examinations for higher educational institutions. It is responsible for conducting the
- Joint Entrance Examination – Main (JEE Main)
- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test-Undergraduate (NEET UG)
- National Eligibility Test (NET)
- Common Management Admission Test (CMAT)
- Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT)
The roots of the agency can be traced to the Programme of Action 1992, related to National Policy of Education 1986, which mentioned conducting national level common entrance tests to professional and non-professional programmes of study.
Union cabinet had granted an initial amount of Rs 25 crore (equivalent to Rs 28 crore or USD4.0 million in 2019) to NTA to start its operations in the first year.
The NTA is chaired by an eminent educationist who is appointed by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
INDIATHINKERS is now on TELEGRAM as ExamGuideUpsc. Join our Channel to get the latest posts updates and other important quiz and pdf materials.