COVID-19 Testing Kit developed in West Bengal
GS Paper III: Science and Technology – developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
READ MORE | COVID-19 Effect on Central Nervous System
Key Details about the COVID-19 Testing Kit
- The kit known as “DiAGSure nCOV-19 Detection Assay” has been developed by the researchers in West Bengal.
- This COVID-19 testing kit can meet the growing demand for testing equipment across the country to a certain extent.
- The kit has been priced around Rs 500 and is said to have a near-100% accuracy in detection of virus.
- As per the report of Indian Council of medical Research, the detection of virus through this kit can be done in a short span of 90 minutes.
- The kit has been developed indigenously and it claims that 1 testing kit can test up to 160 patients.
READ MORE | COVID-19 Global Humanitarian Response Plan
PRELIMS Background Bites
What you need to know about Indian Council of Medical Research?
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the apex body in India for the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research, is one of the oldest and largest medical research bodies in the world.
- The ICMR is funded by the Government of India through the Department of Health Research, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- The 26 national institutes under ICMR address themselves to research on specific health topics.
- These topics include tuberculosis, leprosy, cholera and diarrhoeal diseases, viral diseases including AIDS, malaria, kala-azar, vector control, nutrition, food & drug toxicology, reproduction, immuno-haematology, oncology, medical statistics, etc.
- The governing body of the council is presided over by the Union Health Minister.
- It is assisted in scientific and technical matters by a scientific advisory board comprising eminent experts in different biomedical disciplines.
- The Indian Journal of Medical Research is published under the auspices of the council.
READ MORE | UV Disinfection Tower developed by DRDO
Subscribe to our newsletter!
INDIATHINKERS is now on TELEGRAM as ExamGuideUpsc. Join our Channel to get the latest posts updates and other important quiz and pdf materials.