COVID-19 RNA Extraction Kit | Agappe Chitra Magna
Source | Press Information Bureau
GS Paper III: Science and Technology – developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Context: The commercial launch of COVID-19 RNA Extraction Kit known as the “Agappe Chitra Magna” has been organized by the SCTIMST in collaboration with Agappe Diagnostics Ltd.
What you need to know about “Agappe Chitra Magna”?
The RNA Extraction Kit, the “Agappe Chitra Magna“, has been developed by the Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST) – Trivandrum, an Institute of National Importance of the Department of Science and Technology (DST) along with Agappe Diagnostics Ltd, which is an in-vitro diagnostics manufacturing company based in Cochin.
- After this launch, the Chitra Magna, an innovative RNA extraction kit, will now be available in the market as Agappe Chitra Magna RNA Isolation Kit.
- The kit has been independently validated at National Institute of Virology for Covid19 RNA isolation.
- The country’s drug regulatory authority, Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO), has given approval for the commercialization of this kit.
- The application of the kit can be seen in RNA extraction for RT-LAMP, RT-qPCR, RT-PCR and other isothermal and PCR based protocols for the detection of SARS-COV-2.
Also Read: Chitra GeneLAMP-N Test Kit for COVID-19
Working of the Kit
Agappe Chitra Magna RNA Isolation Kit, the innovative RNA Extraction kit, uses an innovative technology for isolating the RNA using magnetic nanoparticles to capture the RNA from the patient sample.
- The magnetic nano-particle beads bind to the viral RNA and, when these bonded RNA are exposed to a magnetic field, it gives a highly purified and concentrated RNA.
- This innovation enhances the chances of identification of positive cases owing to the fact that the sensitivity of the detection method is dependent on getting an adequate quantity of viral RNA.
How this innovation significant for India?
- According to an estimation, there would be a requirement of about 8 lakh RNA extraction kits in India per month during the next six months.
- Owing to this fact, Agappe Chitra Magna RNA Isolation Kit, which is priced around Rs. 150 per kit is expected to reduce the cost of testing and the also the dependence of the country on imported kits which cost around Rs 300.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
INDIATHINKERS is now on TELEGRAM as ExamGuideUpsc. Join our Channel to get the latest posts updates and other important quiz and pdf materials.