Corona-Killer | Drone to Sanitize Public Places
GS Paper III: Science and Technology – developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Context: Large scale disinfection efforts have been prioritised by health workers and governments world-over, as the world community is fighting to contain the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and flatten the curve.
What you need to know about CORONA-KILLER?
These drones are being manufactured by the ISO-9001 company Garuda Aerospace as an Automated Disinfecting Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) that aids in Sanitization of Public Places, Hospitals & Tall buildings.
- Named as ‘Corona-Killer’, these drones can be used to spray disinfectants on buildings up to 450 feet.
- These drones have already been deployed for disinfecting areas in Chandigarh and Varanasi.
- It was selected as one of the top 10 socio-economic innovations by NITI Aayog in 2016.
- It consists of patented autopilot technology, advanced flight controller system & is equipped with fuel efficient motors that enables the drone to be deployed for 12 hours a day.
- The features include:
- Payload capacity of 15-20 litres,
- Flight duration of 40-45 minutes &
- Maximum ceiling height of 450 feet which is sufficient to disinfect tall buildings across India.
- Each drone can cover 20 km a day.
- Garuda Aerospace’s present fleet of 300 Corona Killer-100 drones can conduct sanitization operations covering 6,000 km every single day.
READ MORE | Hospital Care Assistive Robotic Device (HCARD)
Why drones are being preferred for this sanitization drive?
- Drone operations are faster, longer & safer than manual spraying by workers who can become potential carriers of COVID-19.
- Also, drones can reach heights which are not possible through manual spraying.
- Drone based Swacch Bharat campaign to Clean India on a regular basis will prevent the spread of COVID-19, future pandemics & communicable diseases arising due to unhygienic conditions.
ALSO READ | Ruhdaar Ventilator | Fight Against COVID-19
Subscribe to our newsletter!