Compendium of Indian Technologies launched by CSIR
GS Paper III: Science and Technology – developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Context: The National Research Development Corporation(NRDC) prepared a compendium of Indian Technologies for combating COVID-19 pandemic.
READ MORE | FlytNow | An Internet of Drones (IoD) Platform
What you need to know about Compendium of Indian Technologies launched by CSIR?
- In the Compendium of Indian Technologies launched recently, the technologies are categorized under 3T’s of tracking, testing and treating.
- This is an attempt to compile the relevant and emerging innovative technologies including the technologies in the research stage to combat against the COVID-19.
- The information about 200 COVID-19 related Indian technologies are carried in the compendium of which most of them are proof-of-concept(POC) tested and help the entrepreneurs to take the products to the market.
- The informations are sourced from various government bodies, academic institutions including:
- Department of Science and Technology (DST)
- Department of Biotechnology (DBT)
- Indian Council of Medical Research(ICMR)
- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(MeitY)
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research(CSIR)
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- Indian Institute(s) of Technology (IITs)
- Science and Engineering Research Board(SERB)
- Technology Development Board(TDB)
- National Innovation Foundation(NIF)
- Startup India and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)
- Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST)
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
- The raw materials required for the COVID-19 drug is being developed by the National Chemical Laboratory which will be handed over to the Department of Pharmaceuticals.
- For the safe transportation of COVID-19 patients, SCTIMST is developing isolation pods, with an attached cover to restrict any direct contacts with others.
ALSO READ | Internet Penetration in India | REPORT
PRELIMS Background Bites
What you need to know about National Research Development Corporation (NRDC)?
- National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) was established in 1953 by the Government of India, with the primary objective to promote, develop and commercialise the technologies / know-how / inventions / patents / processes emanating from various national R&D institutions / Universities.
- It has its office in New Delhi.
- It is presently working under the administrative control of the Dept. of Scientific & Industrial Research, Ministry of Science & Technology.
- NRDC has successfully exported technologies and services to both developed as well as the developing countries.
- NRDC is recognised, particularly in the developing countries, as the source of reliable appropriate technology, machines and services, which are typically suitable for these countries.
ALSO READ | First COVID-19 Test Bus of India
Subscribe to our newsletter!
INDIATHINKERS is now on TELEGRAM as ExamGuideUpsc. Join our Channel to get the latest posts updates and other important quiz and pdf materials.