PRADHAN MANTRI MATRU VANDANA YOJANA
Context: Union Minister of Women & Child Development and Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani gave away the Pradhan Mantri Matru VandanaYojana (PMMVY) awards to States, Union Territories and Districts for best performance.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS OF THE AWARDS The awards were given in the following two categories: (i) Best performance since inception of the Scheme. (ii) Best performance by States/ UTs during the Matru Vandana Saptah (MVS) held from 2nd to 8th December 2019. (The theme of the Saptah was “towards building a healthy nation – Surakshit Janani, ViksitDharini” ) For best performance since the inception of the Scheme, following States/UTs has been awarded in their respective categories:
- States/ UTs having population of more than 1 crore: Madhya Pradesh (1st), Andhra Pradesh (2nd) and Haryana (3rd).
- States/ UTs having population of less than 1 crore: Dadra & Nagar Haveli (1st), Himachal Pradesh (2nd) and Chandigarh (3rd).
- District level awards for States/ UTs with population of more than 1 crore: Indore, Madhya Pradesh (1st), Kurnool in Andhra Pradesh (2nd) and South Salmara Mankachar in Assam (3rd).
- District level awards for States/ UTs with population of less than 1 crore: Serchhip in Mizoram (1st), Una in Himachal Pradesh (2nd) and Puducherry (3rd).
For best performance by States/ UTs during the Matru Vandana Saptah (MVS) held from 2nd to 8th December 2019, following States/UTs has been awarded in their respective categories:
- States/ UTs having population of more than 1 crore: Andhra Pradesh (1st), Maharashtra (2nd) and Madhya Pradesh (3rd).
- States/ UTs having population of less than 1 crore: Dadra & Nagar Haveli (1st), Sikkim (2nd) and Manipur (3rd).
About PRADHAN MANTRI MATRU VANDANA YOJANA The PMMVY is a maternity benefit programme which is being implemented in all districts of the country from 01.01.2017. Under this programme, a cash incentive of Rs. 5000 is provided directly to the bank/ post office account of Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM) for the first living child of the family subject to fulfilling specific conditions relating to maternal and child health. The Cash incentive of Rs 5000 is to be provided inthree instalments i.e.
- First instalment of Rs 1000/- on early registration of pregnancy at the Anganwadi Centre (AWC) / approved Health facility as may be identified by the respective administering State / UT.
- Second instalment of Rs 2000/- after six months of pregnancy on receiving at least one ante-natal check-up (ANC).
- Third instalment of Rs 2000/– after child birth is registered and the child has received the first cycle of BCG, OPV, DPT and Hepatitis – B, or its equivalent/ substitute.
The eligible beneficiaries would receive the incentive given under the Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) for Institutional delivery and the incentive received under JSY would be accounted towards maternity benefits so that on an average a woman gets Rs 6000 / – . PMMVY is implemented using the platform of Anganwadi Services Scheme of Umbrella ICDS under the WCD Ministry in respect of States/ UTs implementing scheme through Women and Child Development Department/ Social Welfare Department and through health system in respect of States/ UTs where scheme is implemented by Health and Family Welfare Department. PMMVY is implemented through a centrally deployed web based MIS software application and the focal point of implementation is Anganwadi Centre (AWC) and ASHA/ANM. Target Beneficiaries under the Scheme
- All Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM), excluding those who are in regular employment with the Central Government or the State Governments or PSUs or those who are in receipt of similar benefits under any law for the time being in force.
- All eligible PW&LM who have their pregnancy on or after 01.01.2017 for first child in family.
- Case of Miscarriage/Still Birth:
- A beneficiary is eligible to receive benefits under the scheme only once. In case of miscarriage/still birth, the beneficiary would be eligible to claim the remaining installment(s) in event of any future pregnancy.
- Thus, after receiving the 1st instalment, if the beneficiary has a miscarriage, she would only be eligible for receiving 2nd and 3rd instalment in event of future pregnancy subject to fulfilment of eligibility criterion and conditionalities of the scheme.
- Similarly, if the beneficiary has a miscarriage or still birth after receiving 1 st and 2nd instalments, she would only be eligible for receiving 3rd instalment in event of future pregnancy subject to fulfilment of eligibility criterion and conditionalities of the scheme.
- Case of Infant Mortality: A beneficiary is eligible to receive benefits under the scheme only once. That is, in case of infant mortality, she will not be eligible for claiming benefits under the scheme, if she has already received all the instalments of the maternity benefit under PMMVY earlier.
- Pregnant and Lactating AWWs/ AWHs/ ASHA may also avail the benefits under the PMMVY subject to fulfilment of scheme conditionalities.
Follow us on:
Join us on Telegram: http://t.me/ExamGuideUpsc