Context: The Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Nirmala Sitharaman, has announced a proposal to set up a National Technical Textiles Mission in her budget speech.
KEY OUTLINES OF NATIONAL TECHNICAL TEXTILE MISSION
- Implementation Period: 4 years from 2020-21 to 2023-24.
- Estimated Outlay: Rs. 1480 crore.
- In terms of the projections of the last baseline survey on technical textile which was submitted in 2015, the market size in India for the year 2017-18 is projected as Rs 1,16,217 crore.
- Although, there is no projection in the last baseline study with regard to the projections for the 2020-21, taking into account the current trend of growth and various initiatives of the Government, domestic market size of the technical textile is expected to cross Rs 2 lakh crores by the year 2020-21.
WHAT ARE TECHNICAL TEXTILES?
Technical textiles are those material and products which are manufactured primarily for their technical properties and functional requirements rather than for aesthetic characteristics.
The scope of use of technical textiles encompasses a wide range of applications such as agro-textile, medical textile, geo-textile, protection-textile, industrial-textile, sports-textile and many other usages.
Benefits of Use of Technical Textiles: They account for increased productivity in the following sectors:
- Horticulture and aquaculture fields;
- Better protection of military;
- Para-military, Police and security forces;
- Stronger and sturdier transportation infrastructure for highways, railways, ports and airports; and
- Improving hygiene and healthcare of general public.
In India, technical textile hold immense growth opportunities both for the industry as well as across various applications.
RECOMMENDED: NATIONAL LIVESTOCK MISSION
Follow us on:
Join us on Telegram: http://t.me/ExamGuideUpsc