Last updated on April 1, 2020
Context: The first India-Africa Defence Ministers’ Conclave held in Lucknow on February 06, coinciding with DefExpo-2020, adopted the Lucknow Declaration.
WHAT ARE THE KEY HIGHLIGHTS OF LUCKNOW DECLARATION?
- Provision for Peace and Security: All the signatories committed to continue their collaboration in the fields of peace and security including conflict prevention, resolution, management and peacebuilding with an additional aim to enhance the role of women in peacekeeping. The support also comes in the form of this year’s theme of African Union “Silence the Guns; Creating Conducive Conditions for African Development” .
- Provision regarding Maritime Security: To exchange expertise and trainers, strengthening regional and continental early warning capacities and mechanisms.
- Provision on Terrorism: Terrorism is a major threat in the region and thus aims to take resolute action in rooting out terrorism in all its forms and manifestations, eliminating financing channels and halting cross-border movement of terrorists. It also urges the international community to envisage the adoption of the Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism in the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
- Regarding the importance of Indo-Pacific: To encourage enhanced cooperation between India and Africa on the evolving concept of Indo-Pacific.
- Provision for SAGAR vision of India: The declaration also welcomes the African Unions’ vision for peace and security in Africa that coincides with India’s vision of SAGAR (Security and Growth for all in the Region).SAGAR is an articulation of India’s vision for the Indian Ocean. It has elements such as:
- Enhancement of capacities to safeguard land and maritime territories & interests;
- Deepening economic and security cooperation in the littoral;
- Action to deal with natural disasters and maritime threats like piracy, terrorism.
- Provision for Compliance at UNSC: The Declaration also focuses on strengthening the UN Counter-Terrorism mechanisms and to ensure strict compliance with the the UN Security Council sanctions regime on terrorism.
Follow us on:
Join us on Telegram: http://t.me/ExamGuideUpsc