Mentioned below are some of the key features of Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2019 which was introduced in July 2019.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CENTRAL UNIVERSITIES (AMENDMENT) BILL, 2019
- The Amendment Bill, 2019 was introduced in Lok Sabha on July 8, 2019.
- The Bill seeks to amend the Central University Act, 2009, which establishes universities for teaching and research in various states.
- The Bill provides for the establishment of two central universities in Andhra Pradesh to be known as the Central University of Andhra Pradesh and the Central Tribal University of Andhra Pradesh.
- The Central Tribal University will take additional measures to provide higher educational and research facilities in tribal art, culture, and customs primarily to the tribal population of India.
- It is to be noted that the establishment of a Central University and a Central Tribal University in the Andhra Pradesh is obligatory under the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014.